Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Catalyst of hope

It started to snow last night just when Paula and I were pulling up at home after she had collected me from work. Stepping out of the car there was a visual treat of the puffed up flakes of the first fall hanging in the air deadening all the normal sounds. Some kids were poking their heads out windows and one girls was standing just outside her front door holding her hand up trying to catch a snow flake.

First thing this morning I pulled back the curtain to see if the snow had stuck, there was a small dusting on the roofs of the houses and enough to freeze up the car windscreens all the way up the street but there was no signs of any left on the ground. As my hope of enough snow to make at least 1 snowball faded I realised that it was a glorious morning. The sun was up strong in an ultra-clear, pale blue sky. It's warmth was melting the remaining ice on the cars and paths making it safe for our neighborhood to get on with our morning without deicer.

The white of the snow did not last long but in that tiny moment when Paula and I stood at our front door with a little hope that it would snow all night, it reminded me that sometimes all we need is the smallest glimmer of hope, the tiniest light in the dark will do to kill the darkness and lift our spirits.

I am going to go to work and try to be a catalyst of hope for my colleagues, our customers and anyone else who is close enough to interact with.

If you want more on the subject of hope check out the mp3 of Erwin Raphael McManus' talk over at mosaic.org.

No comments: